Monday, 9 June 2014

May 2014 - Deb's trip to the UK for Grandad's 90th Birthday

This trip was a wonderful, surprise gift from my lovely hubby - thanks so much Justin!

It was special to have time with Gran and Grandad before the whole family descended (and after).
They are both people I could enjoy talking to for hours and it's a treat when I get to!


The night before the party, both my brothers and Jon's family came down - Josh and Noah were allowed to stay up for a family game of Perudo.

Grandad's party was on the Saturday (birthday on the Sunday) and all the family had put effort into making it special.  A slideshow was running of photos from through his life (of which a few are below); there was a quiz on Grandad and 1924; speeches, poems and lots of delicious food!
This is Grandad, aka Hugh Sansom, in his Royal Airforce Uniform.  He trained RAF pilots in Southern Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe) during WWII.
I love this photo of Grandad at his desk in the East African Meteorological Department.  It's just down the road from where we live in Nairobi.  After Kenya's independence, he stayed on to train and advise during the handover period to Kenyan leadership.
This is how I always picture my grandad - he hasn't changed much over the years.

 So wonderful to have hugs, chats and time with people
My eldest nephew, Callum, has just turned 16 and is taller than my Mum
Beautiful niece Esther
Enjoying the warmth and light of the conservatory at the Spa Hotel, Tunbridge Wells
 Me reading out the poem I'd written for Grandad
My sister Tracy
My sister Alex
A wonderful afternoon was had by all

The next day Grandad's church put on a special event after the morning service.  Cake, nibbles and a 'this is your life' by the vicar.  They also presented Grandad with a huge file full of 800 years of researched family history - what a gift!

The lady in the turquoise jacket in the bottom LH corner is my driving instructor from 20 years ago - Irene Smith.  It was such a lovely surprise to see her again!

After all the celebrations were over, my parents and I had a lovely couple of days together enjoying each other's company in the beauty of rural England.  
How is this for a village pond?  The rest of Lindfield is equally charming.

And the view from the top of nearby Ditchling Beacon.  From the other side you can see the sea :)
I feel a very lucky lady to have had this treat and to have such a wonderful family.