Thursday, 29 November 2012

Justin's visit to Doro - Nov 2012


I have just returned from an intense six day trip to Doro. It went very well and I was able to spend useful time with Hiakie and Helenne working on plans for the Secondary School, with the Water Project team and reviewing the work of the Housing Project.

Below I have chosen six pictures that capture something significant about my visit and the work we are doing in this place. Hoping it gives you some insight into what is important to me at this time!

A place to call home



It may not look like much, but this is the wonderful tent I was able to stay in during my visit. Why is this significant? Well, my visit coincided with a team of 8 Ethiopian evangelists and 5 Americans helping to build for the Health Project. Our housing is always stretched in Doro, so I was touched that Hiakie and Rangtei had prepared this tent for me, making sure I had everything I needed (note the cooking stove and basket of charcoal ready for use). Hospitality remains one of the most significant ministries we can undertake for each other in the Christian family.

A fair wind



I was so encouraged to see the progress made on the construction of the school. Despite the challenges we have faced in getting materials to site, God has enabled the work to progress in a way that feels miraculous at times. I was able to have these windows fabricated in Nairobi and sent to Doro by air amazingly quickly. Gilbert (wearing the white coat, centre) is our Kenyan foreman, and he is doing a super-human job of progressing the work on the classrooms and teacher housing simultaneously.

Commitment to what matters



This photo shows morning devotions with the construction workers (many of them students). Hiakie and Rangtei, together with James and Helenne, have shown amazing dedication to the men who work with us, wanting to invest in their lives and work for a better future for them. This is what the Secondary School is all about, so it is wonderful to see that we are starting with such a focus.

Moving mountains



A truck of rock? What could be significant about that? Well, for me this was one of the most wonderful sights of the whole visit! Over the course of the last year we have watched the cost of aggregate from the local quarry increase from 400 south Sudanese pounds, to 1000, then 1700 ($350) – and the piles get smaller and smaller! The difficult and ongoing negotiations with the quarry operators were a serious cause of stress to Hiakie and Gilbert. But now that the UN is working on the Doro airstrip a company is bringing murram (a dirty rock, not like river gravel) from further away. While I was there they brought Hiakie four trucks costing 3,000 south Sudanese pounds each ($700) – the equivalent in gravel from the local quarry would have cost at least 5 times as much! Mixing enough concrete for our buildings is a realistic prospect once again...

Enough is enough?



I enjoyed the two days I spent with John and Abel discussing the Water Project – but why chose a photo of them killing a snake in our office?! Watching a project like this develop over several years is very interesting; discovering which aspects of running an effective project the team struggles with and seeing them develop and overcome different challenges. It may seem mundane, but keeping the office organised and clean and tidy continues to be a struggle - and is hampering our progress. Everything is covered in dirt and our books and equipment are getting spoiled. The office is in a badly made brick building, with crumbling concrete floor, doors that don’t fit and a colony of bats that make a mess everywhere. Their pooh has even burned holes in our whiteboard! So, now I am thinking, is it time for a new office? Perhaps a nice sealed prefab would be just the thing...

Family friendly



During my stay I also had the pleasure of getting to know a missionary family recently arrived in Doro with another organisation. It wasn't so long ago that housing suitable for SIM missionary families were in short supply, but thanks to the work we have done with the Housing Project since March this year, we know have enough housing to offer it on a temporary basis to people such as these! It highlights the value of the project when you think that this family would have struggled to make a start in Doro without SIM being able to offer them this accommodation.